Short-term funding has held back care, says watchdog

By Michael Burton | 25 March 2021

Short-term funding has held back investment in the unstable £16.5bn adult social care market despite a forecast 57% in demand from the over-65s by 2036 says a report from the National Audit Office (NAO).

Some 76% of care homes for older adults and adults with dementia are for-profit while of the remaining 24%, 14% are not-for-profit and 10% are run by a local authority or the NHS.

Yet some 55% of large for-profit care homes and 39% of large for-profit care at home providers reported a return on investment of less than 5% in 2019.

Want full article access?

Receive The MJ magazine each week and gain access to all the content on this website with a subscription.

Full website content includes additional, exclusive commentary and analysis on the issues affecting local government.


Already a subscriber? Login

Finance Adult social care NAO

Coronavirus Update


In light of the ongoing coronavirus crisis, some of you may not be able to receive your copy of TheMJ magazine. If you’d like to change your delivery address, please contact our subscriptions department at
Read The MJ for free

Keep up to date by subscribing to our daily newsletter

theMJ products